Where to find the museums
All three of our museums are located in the centre of Ripon, in North Yorkshire. It is about five minutes’ walk between museums.
If you’re planning to visit all three museums, we suggest starting with the Workhouse Museum on Allhallowgate.
Workhouse Museum, Sharow View, Allhallowgate, Ripon, HG4 1LE
Prison & Police Museum, St Marygate, Ripon, HG4 1LX (opposite St Marygate car park)
Courthouse Museum, Minster Road, Ripon, HG4 1QS (opposite Ripon Cathedral, or behind Sainsbury’s)
Getting to Ripon
Whether you plan to travel to Ripon by car or by public transport, the following details will help you plan your journey.
- from Newcastle and the North – follow the A1(M) south to Junction 50 then take the A61 (about 70 mins from Newcastle). Alternatively, take the A19 south and A168 to exit 49 then take the A6108 / Sharow Lane (about 45 minutes from Teesside)
- from Leeds and the South – follow the A1(M) north to Junction 48 then take the A168 northwards to the junction with the B6265 (about 45 mins from Leeds)
- from Harrogate – follow the A61 north (about 25 mins)
- from Masham – follow the A6108 south (about 20 mins)
- from Pateley Bridge – take the B6265 (about 30 mins)
- from York – follow the A59 west, then A168 north, then take the B6265 (about 35 mins)
Parking for cars and coaches is situated conveniently near to the museums in the main city car parks next to the bus station. It costs £2 for all day parking at St Marygate car park, which you can find using the postcode HG4 1LX.
By public transport
Ripon does not have a railway station. The closest stations are in Harrogate, Thirsk or York.
The ‘36’ will run every 30 mins between Harrogate & Ripon, and every 15 mins between Harrogate & Leeds. Telephone 01423 566061 or visit www.the36.co.uk for further information.
The ‘Ripon Roweller’ local bus service provides a link from the outlying villages into Ripon bus station via the 138, 138A and 139 services. The timetable is available here.
Ripon is one of the most northerly points on the English canal system. From the River Ouse navigate the River Ure to join the Ripon Canal at Oxclose Lock.